Weekly Tip: Check Smoke Detector Alarm Batteries
Three out of five home fire deaths result from fires in properties without working smoke detectors.
Take a few minutes to ensure your alarms will sound in an emergency.
- Install a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector near bedrooms, and make sure smoke alarms are near all sleeping rooms. Install smoke alarms on every floor of your home.
- Choose smoke detectors that communicate with each other, so that if one alarm sounds they all will.
- Check or change the batteries in your carbon monoxide detectors at least twice a year.
- Test smoke detectors monthly.
- For smoke alarms that use regular alkaline batteries, replace the batteries at least once a year.
- For smoke alarms that use lithium (long-life) batteries, replace the entire smoke alarm according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Make and practice an escape plan in the event of a fire or emergency.